Monday, November 12, 2012

30 Days of Thankfulness - Day 10

Today I am thankful for generations.

This past Saturday, November 10th, my parents hosted my grandma's 90th birthday party. Cousins, aunts, and uncles came from all over to join in the festivities. For the majority of the night, there were four generations of "Raimey's" in one room. Pretty cool, huh?

The highlight of the night was probably when my cousin Jeremy and I used our iPads to FaceTime our two cousins that could not make the event.

Now, you have to think - my grandma was born in 1922. In 1922, insulin was discovered, the first Reader's Digest was published, and the tomb of King Tut was discovered. The next year talking movies were invented and the first Time Magazine was published. When my grandma was 10-years-old, air conditioning was invented. The year my grandma turned 20-years-old, Anne Frank went into hiding and the t-shirt was introduced. The year she and my grandfather got married (1945) was the year the FDR passed away, the Germans surrendered, the UN was founded, and best of all, the slinky toy hit the retail shelves.

As you can see, my grandparents have seen many many things in their lifetime. I remember showing them my first iPod that I got for Christmas my senior year of high school. They couldn't believe that "all that music" could fit into a "tiny box machine". I don't think my grandparents could have ever imagined being able to talk to a person face-to-face (who lives across the country) through a tablet in real time. To them, that's the unimaginable.

But - here we are at my grandma's birthday party in 2012 holding up a "machine" with a "video player" of two of my cousins. I think that at first they thought we were showing them a prerecorded video. Then, my grandma waved and my cousin waved back. She got really close to the screen, pointed at my cousin and said, "She can TALK!"She also pointed out that my cousin Chloe's "friend" (husband) was with her. Man, I love my grandma a lot. She's seriously so cute.

And, technology is incredible.

But today I am thankful for the life, legacy, and wisdom of each generation that filled my parent's house on Saturday night. It's amazing what we can learn from each other when we all gather together. It's incredible the stories, testimonies, encouragement, and love that generations of family can share.

Welp, happy rainy Monday, y'all.
I've blogged to you...
Now you can blogbacktome

No comments:

Post a Comment