Thursday, May 24, 2012

'Tis the Season

Well, today marks the beginning of summertime in the South.

Growing up, Memorial Day marked the beginning of "the season" for everyone I knew. When you live in Destin, or any coastal town, Memorial Day marks the beginning of a three month long Black Friday.

So...in honor of my hometown and - well - we'll call it "heritage," here's my "Top 10 Summertime Favs"

10 - Less Traffic in the mornings
Source
As much as I absolutely loved growing up in Destin, I do not miss the summer traffic at all. Although I appreciated it, because I knew that it meant that people were supporting our economy, I have to say that sitting in traffic for hours a time just to get to work, the beach, the mall, or to a friend's house was not ideal. In Birmingham, summertime means less traffic. School is out and everyone goes to...well...Destin. Although my family may get annoyed at the hundreds of Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and Tennessee tags that they pass (or rather sit in traffic with) on the way to work, it means that I get to leave for work five minutes later than usual.


9 - Baseball

I don't get as much into the sport as I do into the atmosphere. I love all kinds of baseball in the summer - from tee ball to pro ball. I grew up going to the occasional Braves game with my family and during high school, I was privileged to get to see a couple different really cool games around the country. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the big leagues, but I also love going down to the ball park and just watching the kiddos play. Obviously, Jason and I don't get to do that because we don't have kiddos (or even really know any up here), but those are definitely some of my favorite memories from growing up.

Jason and I went to a Braves game last summer and it was really a blast. We're trying to plan a fun little trip back to Atlanta this summer to and go to a game.

8 - Parks and outdoor events
Sunset Cinema at Railroad Park
Source
I'm a sucker for anything outdoors. I love concerts, movies, food, picnics, markets, garage sales, plays, and truly anything that consists of sitting outside in the warm air with a cool breeze.

Again, growing up in Destin, I feel like I've been conditioned for outdoor events since birth. My parents would always take up to events out at Seaside or Baytowne Wharf. It's kind of fun to get to do things that tourists do and then go home and sleep in your own bed at night.

Birmingham has fun things to do outdoors in the summer as well. I'm just learning about them as we go along. I guess that's part of the transition from living in Destin (either full-time or even just in the summertime) and living in Birmingham full-time. Jason and I enjoy outdoor activities, so if you hear of one nearby, let me know...we'll be there with shorts on!
Jason & I at Harborwalk with my family last year for the 4th of July



7- Pool time
I didn't know this until I permanently moved to Birmingham last year, but most pools apparently don't open until Memorial Day weekend...or may a week or two before. I'm a big fan of clean pools. I love being able to lounge on a raft (like our friend Mr. Speedo Man) or lay out for a little while and then jump into a refreshingly cool pool.

6 - Weekend getaways

You're probably tired of hearing me say, "Growing up..."

But, growing up, my family and I would sometimes go stay on the beach for a weekend or some short amount of time. We knew a lot of people who would come to town or who owned houses/condos on the beach. Occasionally, we'd go stay out there. I loved doing that because I still got to hang out with my friends and go about my normal routine, but when I wanted to feel like I was on vacation, I could.
Source
Jason and I have a lot of little weekend getaways planned this summer. Starting this weekend, we're in Birmingham very little over the summer. I cannot wait for those Friday afternoons (and some Thursdays) when we get to jump in the car, turn on some good music, and drive out of town.

5 - New movies

There are not many things that can top the opening weekend of a movie you've been waiting to see for months. Many times, new movies that we've all been waiting for happen to open during the summer.

This year...here's what we're waiting for...
Source
We actually just discussed going to the midnight premier. We'll see if it happens or not.

4 - Sales

Summertime caterers quite specifically to the shopoholic. Now, I'm not sure that I fit quite into that category (especially since I've been "on my own"), but I do love a good sale. Lucky for girls like me, summertime also brings with it lots and lots of sales.

Source

Memorial Day sales
Fourth of July sales
Back to school sales
Tax holiday
Labor Day sales
Spring clothes clearance rack

Need I keep going?

3 - Vacation days

Oh the joys of vacation days. I've learned very quickly that there are vacation days and then there are vacation days.

Vacation days are days that you're actually on vacation. Most of us go on a summer vacation every year or so, and vacation days laying out by the pool, laying on the beach, nice dinners out, shopping, and sight seeing are familiar to us.

Vacation days are days that you don't work, but you're not on a vacation. These are used for days when you don't go to work because you've got things to do (yucky errands) that can only be done between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
None of this...
Source
So far this year, I've only taken vacation days. I'm so excited about getting to take vacation days this summer!

2 - Wedding season

Summer is the seasons of weddings. This year there are quite a few that Jason and I will be attending as well as few that we can't make it to. Summer weddings have always been part of my life. If you've been on the beach in Destin/Pensacola/Panama City on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday evening I'm sure you've seen a wedding ceremony.
Source
I'm sincerely excited for all of my friends getting married this summer (and next) and I can't wait to become a married woman myself.

1 - No school

Unfortunately, this one only applies to my life indirectly these days. I was always a huge fan of summer vacation. One year I heard rumors about how our county (or state?) might be going to year-round school and I cried...literally...sat down and cried.
Source
Now, I'm no longer in school, but summer means that my family is way more available for me to hang out with them! Having two sisters in school, a mom who teaches, and a dad who is a principal has made me feel a weeeee bit left out this year :( Luckily, now that they're all going to be on summer vacation, I get LOTS of family time!

------------

I hope that each of you have a wonderful holiday weekend. I will be heading home to Destin as soon as work gets out today. For those of you traveling, be safe! For those of you taking a little staycation, enjoy your relaxation!

I'll be taking a break from rambling this weekend...but next week I want to know: What are your summertime favs?

No comments:

Post a Comment