Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Thing of the Past


Oh May oh my.  May is just one of those months that I love. One reason is that it's my birthday month. But I also love May because it usually comes with endings and new beginnings. School years end, and summer begins. It marks the beginning of things we look forward to.

Speaking of ending seasons and new beginnings, Jason leaves for the last run of the tour tomorrow. I am sincerely sad to see this season ending, because I know that it has meant so much to him, therefore it's meant a lot to me, but it's also helped us to grow in our relationship in ways I could never have imagined.

BUT, I'm am sure glad that he will be back in Birmingham full-time.

Since Jason has been gone so much, we always do a "Monday Date Night" because that's the only night he's always in town. Sometimes that means cooking and staying in and watching a movie. Sometimes they're big extravagant dates to nice restaurants and a little something out of the ordinary. Usually it's dinner and a movie at one of our local favorites. 

Last night was our last necessary "Monday Date Night" and we sure did end this season with a great date! Not that all of you are dying to know what Jason and I did on our date, but we actually got a lot accomplished and had a great time!

It all started with some pretty "May" flowers.

Then a BOGO meal at Genghis Grill (my meal was full of veggies, chicken, and shrimp).

Then we ventured over to the Galleria Mall. First we went to Sears to look at washers and dryers as well as TVs. No purchases, but we got some fun ideas.

Jason picked out his wedding band and I bought it. We also took my wedding band to get re-shanked, re-sized, and re-newed (I'm using my grandmother's 67-year-old wedding band that I was given on my 16th birthday as a purity ring).

After that we walked down to Starbucks so I could get some herbal tea and Jason decided to try a coffee drink...and he loved it!

We went to sit down at a table and just talk and hang out for a few minutes, and Jason gave me an early birthday present...beautiful pearl earrings!

After the mall we went across the street to Barnes & Noble. One of our favorite things to do together is just go into a bookstore and browse for a bit, grab some magazines, and then sit and relax. Jason looked through some entertainment magazine. Meanwhile, I looked through two wedding magazines...no surprise there!

After that we went to look at the place where Jason will be living for the summer. A family that we know in Birmingham has generously offered their guestroom and basement area for Jason to live in this summer. Since both of our leases end in June, Jason was in a hard position because he didn't need to renew his lease because we're getting married three and a half months later. I'm renewing my lease, because when we get married, we're going to live in my apartment (or I guess it's really our apartment). When we told this family about our living situation, the graciously offered their guest area and we are so blessed by them!

We even timed the distance on the way home from their house to find out how far it is from my apartment...15 minutes at the most. Not bad at all! It's also super close to The Summit (that's where Jason will be working once he's home full-time).

All in all, we had the most wonderful last necessary "Monday Date Night"! Next Monday is my birthday, so I guess the tradition will live on a little bit longer, but at least Jason won't have to leave a couple days later!

I'll quit rambling and leave you with a bit of truth:

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment