Friday, May 18, 2012

Gather 'rounnd...it's Story Time

I feel like I should begin this post with, "Good morning girls and boys," like on Barney & Friends.
Source

But, I won't.

However I do have a story for you this lovely Friday morning.

As many of you probably know, my wonderful fiancé is a bit like a cartoon character (or so people say). He is so outgoing and I admire him for his whit, sense of humor, and ability to be 110% himself in every situation.
This is how I envision Jason as a cartoon.
When he see's this, he'll probably say that this dude has cool hair. Just a guess.
Source

But, last night I wanted to crawl into a hole.

One of our friends opened for a band a couple of weeks ago at a venue here in Birmingham called Workplay. She asked one of our other friends to play guitar for her during her set (they lead worship together at church and are on worship staff together). Through that, our friend who plays guitar met the guitarist from the headlining band.

Well, Jason has met that band a couple of times himself and he's done sound for them at events at Samford, so we're both familiar with them (although I'd never met them). Someone saw on their website that they were playing a house show in Birmingham last night, so our friend who plays guitar texted the guitar player of the headlining band to see if it was an open show and if so, could we come. He said yes to both, so last night Jason, our friend who plays guitar, his wife, and me went to the "house show".

When we arrived, there was a sign out front that was in kind of a graffiti font, so none of us could make out what it said. We thought it said, "Best of..." and then Jason told us they were probably being artsy and didn't want anyone to know the last word.

We got about halfway down this driveway and we see a bunch of people...well no...teenagers...out by the pool. Then our friend's wife (who's my friend as well, but I'm trying to only use pronouns) said, "Did that sign say 'Class of 2012'?". Why yes, I think it did.

By that point, we'd already been spotted and one of the parents came out and asked if we were friends of the band. So, instead of saying no and running away quickly and gone to pick up dessert somewhere (which is what I wanted to do), we said yes and went to the party...the high school graduation party.
Source
 Turns out, a most of the students went to a private, Christian school in Birmingham and a large handful of them will be attending Samford in the fall. I considered laying some groundwork for my sister, who will also be a freshman at Samford in the fall, but I decided she probably wouldn't appreciate that. Who wants their older, party-crashing sister finding them a roomie and new BFF?

It ended up being okay. I felt awkward the whole time, but the guys had fun at least. The kids didn't even know we were there and the parents probably thought we were besties with the band...or something.

As we were leaving, we started discussing what the owners of the house must do for a living (the house was beautiful and huge). Turns out...he's in advertising...

...how about that?

We were offed cake but we declined - which is a reflection of how awkward we felt (we, meaning me and the guitar player's wife)

All in all, it was an enjoyable evening, and we ended up taking away a great story.

No comments:

Post a Comment