Saturday, April 21, 2012

Science Nerd (not so much...)


I've never liked science...at least not the normal definition of science. I always dreaded classes like chemistry and biology. But in the last couple of years, I've become increasingly interested in nutrition, exercise, and sciences that I would consider practical.

Becoming interested in nutrition was inevitable. When I was 16 I found out that I'm borderline diabetic and basically I can control this condition with diet and exercise. Since I'm only five feet tall and I'm borderline diabetic, I have obviously always struggled with my weight.

Ironically, the thing that I have never liked about science is that it's so black and white. I like the gray area of things. That is why I'm drawn to writing, design, photography, and all around the creative things in life. So of course the one type of science that I'm actually interested in is probably the grayest area of science that I know of (not that I know many other types of science...after chemistry, biology, and anatomy, I'm out).

It's supposed to be simple: put bad things in your body, you gain weight and put good things into your body, you lose weight.  Makes sense, right?

As we all know, it's not that simple.

So here I am, 5 months before my wedding, and I have some work to do. I'm aware that I am my worst critic. I'm aware that my fiancé thinks I'm great the way I am. I'm aware that it's totally and completely cliche to try to lose all the weight I've been wanting to lose for years before I get married. But why not now?

I want to be happy in my own skin and I want to feel good about myself on my wedding day.

So I've created a Plan of Action (POA) that begins on April 21st.

I'm going to begin with a seven day cleanse to kind of jump start the process. I've done a lot of research on these things, and I've selected a cleanse that I think is feasible and healthy for me and what I'm trying to accomplish.


Tomorrow I will begin Day 1 and I will update my blog about it each day.

Today was my prep day.

I forgot my recyclable bags. 
I hit up the produce section of Aldi in an effort to do this cleanse on a budget. I spent about $50 today at Aldi, but I do have a few more items that I'll need to pick up tomorrow at Publix.

I'm predicting that I'll spend about the same amount on groceries this week. I typically spend between $50 and $70 for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for four days of food. This will actually cover three meals a day for seven days.

I prepared for Day 1 by arranging my fruit in a very appetizing display.
Guest appearance from our first wedding gift salad bowl
Then I headed off to the Lebanese Food and Cultural Festival downtown. The food was great, and the company was great, but the dancing was incredible.


Check back tomorrow to see how Day 1 goes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment