Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day 5 (Part 2): Tomaeto/Tomotto

The dreaded day arrived. It came and went swiftly. I'm not sure how I did it, but I ate tomatoes today.

So today was tomato and chicken/turkey day. I honestly meant to make a trip to Publix last night to get some turkey from the deli, but I was just too tired. Today was all about me, tomatoes, and chicken.

In case you're interested on why tomatoes, you're not alone. I asked myself the same thing. I was hoping to get out of eating tomatoes. But I had to eat them.

Here's what I discovered: the blog I got this cleanse from says to drink plenty of water with each tomato consumed because you're washing out the uric acid. I am not a science person, so I searched for what uric acid is and does. Basically, I had to eat tomatoes because I haven't been eating meat. My body is no longer accustomed to the 10-12 oz. of poultry I consume on a daily basis. Meat has uric acid. Too much uric acid causes gout. Tomatoes clean the uric acid from your system.

Now, I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist, so I don't know if this is the exact process that our bodies go through, but this was the gist that I got from Google. If you have gout and you're wanting to heal yourself, I don't know if you should eat tomatoes. I didn't go that far in my research.

Moving on...

I've never eaten a full tomato. One bite usually makes me gag. But at 10:30 this morning, I found myself sitting in front of this:
Tomato sliced. Large glass of water. Tea.

First bite made me gag.

Then I decided to chase each bite with a big swig of water. 

I did make it through, but I did not like it one bit.

About 45 minutes later I had to eat lunch because some of my co-workers and I were going to Rojo for a goodbye lunch. One of my friends/co-workers has taken a job at another company, so we took her out to lunch to bid her farewell :(

So around 11:15, I found myself in the kitchen making this lunch:
Plate before and plate after. Also, lots of water.
Lunch:
5 oz. of boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked in the crock-pot
1 tomato diced

I never thought I would put tomatoes on my plate on purpose, but this time was much better than this morning. Each bite had chicken and tomato, so I didn't have to wash the tomato down with water as many times.

I was so excited to eat chicken again though! I'm a carnivore...hooray!

Rojo was the first restaurant I've stepped in to since I've been doing the cleanse. I have to admit that I was worried I'd throw everything aside and order a huge burrito. But I did not. I fixed myself a glass of water and made some good conversation. I left without one bite of this yummy goodness:
Rojo is definitely one of my favorite restaurants in Birmingham.
I must admit that last night I was praying for self control and God sure did deliver.

Around 2:30 I headed downstairs to the kitchen at work. I cut up another tomato at ate it plain. I stayed down there to eat it, therefore there isn't a picture. I figured I would just stand and eat it at the counter in an effort to eat it faster. It worked sorta, but I have to confess that I threw the last two bites into the garbage can. Then I made some green tea.

I made it through the rest of the work day just find, but when I got home I was ready for dinner.

I whipped up a nice little concoction of chicken and tomatoes.
I'm not sure if this is a full pound, but that's what myfitnesspal told me it was.

Dinner:
1 lb. ground chicken
2 cans of diced tomatoes

Dinner tasted a lot like spaghetti at first. It was delicious and I scarfed the first bowl down way too fast. I was still really hungry though because I'd only eaten about 200 calories thus far, so I went back for seconds and ending up eating the entire meal.

Many times I make something similar but I throw in a lot more veggies and usually some salsa and taco seasoning. That usually makes 2-3 servings if I eat it without anything else. I'm glad that I'm full now, but I'm kind of regretting the pound of chicken I ate.

Other than water and some herbal tea, that's a wrap on my food for today. Tomorrow should be much more interesting! I cannot wait to eat poultry and veggies!!

Here is my calorie count for the day:

Hope you all had a wonderful Wednesday. If you haven't read "Part 1," please take a few minutes to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment