Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 1: A Fruitful Day

Today was the day of fruit. Aldi came in really handy yesterday for all of my fruit needs with their amazing prices.

I started my morning by eating a bowl full of cantaloupe. I discovered that I'm not good at cutting cantaloupe, and I reverted to just scooping out pieces of fruit for my breakfast.
Cantaloupe and mint tea
I'm also trying to keep track of how much this is costing me so that I can compare it to what I usually spend on groceries. As you see, my total at Aldi yesterday was $51.61.

I had a laid back morning. I went to a garage sale down the road and bought a lamp (I'll post it once I find a lampshade for it). I also bought two of the Harry Potter special edition DVDs for $2 a piece. 

When I got home it was time for a snack. I ate an orange and a green apple and drank a huge glass of water. 

Jason and I went to see the Hunger Games movies a couple of weeks ago and he bought me one of the large souvenir cups. You'll see that my Hunger Games cup has been my best friend today so that I'm able to fill up on water. 

When lunchtime came around, I was legitimately excited about the fruit medley I was planning to have.  
My colorful lunchtime fruit medley
Lunch consisted of:
10 Strawberries
1 Chopped Green Apple
1 c. frozen berries from Aldi (no sugar added)
30 Grapes 
This medley was good, but the green apple didn't fit as well as I'd hoped. 

It was time for me to run a few errands. One stop I made was to the Walmart Neighborhood Market. I really dislike going into Walmart on Saturdays, so I usually try my hardest to stick to the neighborhood market. I picked up a couple of random items that I needed, as well as some spinach leaves, an onion, and some herbal tea for this week. I also picked up some pre-cut melons since I realized how bad I am at cutting cantaloupe this morning. 

When I got home, it was time for another snack.

Snack time consisted half of my melon tray, an orange, some grapes, and there's a red apple down there somewhere. I also drank some of my new herbal tea. 

I documented my receipt from Walmart, but since I bought some other random items, I need to go through and subtract those from the total. 

I tried to hold off on dinner until close to 7:00 because I was afraid I would get hungry again before bed. Dinner consisted of basically the same thing as my lunch except a few more strawberries, mixed berries, and I traded the green apple for a red apple. I also lost count of my grapes. 
Dinner time with my Hunger Games cup

Dinner:
18 Strawberries
1.5 c. mixed berries from Aldi (no sugar added)
1 chopped red apple
Grapes

I was feeling really good about everything until about 8:30 tonight. I had a friend over and we were watching Midnight in Paris (great movie by the way), and my head started hurting. By the end of the movie I was feeling pretty weak and my stomach felt very hungry, but kind of bloated (sorry for the details, it was a really odd feeling). Honestly, I was ready to throw in the towel, delete my blog post from last night, and head to Chick-fil-A. 

My friend MK is a nurse and knows a lot about nutrition and food...and let's just face it...she's my personal nurse. I asked her what she thought about it and she said to stick with it. She suggested another apple, more water, and some tea. 

After she left, I cut up another green apple and ate a few grapes as well. I also fixed a huge Hunger Games glass of water and some sleepytime herbal tea. 

I instantly felt like I'd come back to life. My head still is hurting just a little bit, but I'm hoping that more water will make that go away here in the next few minutes. 

Overall, today has been great. I am excited about the end result. I keep telling myself that people do things like this all the time. I also keep thinking about people who fast and pray for days at a time. I know that my body is just confused because I haven't had any protein in over 24 hours. 

Well, fruit day is complete and tomorrow is veggie day! All I can think about is how weird breakfast will be tomorrow.

Leave your comments. I'd love feedback or to answer any specific questions you may have if you're interested in this cleanse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment