Monday, April 9, 2012

A Good Friday Indeed

Do you ever have those Mondays when you get to work, sit back at your desk, and think, "Whoah, I could totally take a nap right now?" Well, that was me this morning...after my dentist appointment.

Don't get me wrong, the weekend was oodles of fun and was everything I could have hoped for in my first holiday weekend away from home. So rather than taking you through a long drawn out explanation and giving your a report called "What I did on Easter Weekend," I have pictures.

I started out on Friday, the morning of Good Friday, with a slow morning. I was dumb and forgot to turn off my weekday alarm clock, so I didn't really get to sleep in, but I did take the morning slow. I went to the YMCA and swam some laps (fortunately, I have no photos of this event). I thought I was going to drown because I literally have not been swimming for exercise the whole time Jason and I have been together...so at least a year and a half.

After I ate a little lunch, I headed out for my thrifting adventure. Jason left his Explorer here with me, so I was so excited I'd actually be able to buy stuff and take it with me. And I sure did take advantage of that! I started at some thrift stores close to home and then worked my way out. I picked up some little odds and ends including these windows. I'm hoping that they'll eventually look more like the other window frames I found...but I guess we'll see after a little bit of work. I also picked up some candle holders and vases that I was very pleased with. Everything together was less than $20.
Windows for $5 a piece.

What I would like window frames to look like.
I headed South about 15 miles to America's Thrift Store. Now, something to realize about me is that I absolutely love going to thrift stores, flea markets, antique stores, etc. But I love going for the deals. I get a little bit creeped out by the fact that everything has been used. Which is why, as much a I want to, I can't buy clothes from places like that. I just feel like I have other people touching me all the time, and I cannot live like that (I'm even starting to get a little bit anxious just thinking about it)! When I arrived at America's Thrift Store, I almost turned Dora the Explorer right around and head back to my cozy apartment that is clean and not germy. But I was brave. I went in, got a buggy, and got busy searching for furniture.

America's Thrift Store
After finding my buggy (it was sticky) I found these two matching night stands that were $30 for the set. They were in decent condition and really just need some TLC. I sent a picture to Jason, and he asked if I can, and I quote, "Make them cool". I said, "Yes sir, for $30 I can!" I'm sure the people of Alabaster are talking about the short girl trying to get the tables off the shelves and into a buggy. Two square wooden tables into one rectangular buggy. I'm not sure how I managed it, but I got both night stands in and headed off to the check out. Nightstands: Sold to the short, feisty brunette, who didn't put her hand sanitizer away the whole time.
Let's see if I can make these babies cool
After a day of thrifting adventures, it was time to head home, change, and get snacks together for Secret Church. If you haven't heard of Secret Church, you're missing out. It's basically a 6 hour (but more like 7 hour) bible study that my faith family puts on twice a year. It started out just something that our church did together to grow in the Word, but it has grown so much in the past 6 years that it was actually simulcasted to about 50,000 people this Friday through LifeWay (to learn more about Secret Church, visit the website here).

Over 200 pages of notes
I settled into my comfy church chair surrounded by my 3,000 best friends and got my pen ready to write. I've attended three other Secret Church sessions since my time in Birmingham, but this was by far the best. I missed having Jason there, but I was with some great friends. The topic was "The Cross and Suffering" which was so convicting, encouraging, and just all around good. I always forget how amazing it is to spend concentrated time studying the bible, praying for a persecuted people, and worshiping our Creator. It was definitely a Good Friday!

When I got home around 2:00 a.m., I found this: A WEDDING GIFT! I was way too tired to open it then, and I didn't want to open it without Jason, so I went to bed and decided that Arnold (that's what I named the box) could wait until the next day.
Our first wedding gift!
Saturday morning I woke up, dragged Arnold to my car, and headed off to to meet Jason. We were able to open the gift the in the parking lot and we were greeted with a beautiful wooden salad bowl from Jason's family. This is our first gift and we're already so blessed! What a whirlwind this Good Friday was...and the weekend had only just begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment