Thursday, October 11, 2012

Food Sense

A few food items/recipes/ideas for you today!

Last night Jason and I both got home from work a little bit late. I had planned on making something in the crock pot, but it just didn't happen. So, I decided to change around my food plan for the week a little bit and whip up my mom's chicken pot pie.

Mommy's Chicken Pot Pie (4 large servings, more servings if you have another side dish):
635 calories per serving
Ingredients
  • 1 lb. diced chicken
  • 2 small cans 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 bag of mixed veggies (carrots, green beans, peas)
  • 2 pie crusts (one package)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Directions
  1.  Dice 1 lb. of chicken and cook it in a skillet. 
  2. Once the chicken if finished, throw in the veggies and both cans of soup. Stir and let simmer on the stove.
  3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees (unless otherwise specified on the pie crust package).
  4. While the mixture is simmering, lay the first pie crust in your pie plate. 
  5. Fill the pie crust with the mixture. 
  6. Cover the mixture with the second pie crust and press the edges together.
  7. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the top is a little bit brown.
Going into the oven.

Cutting the first piece.
While I was baking, my dad started a friendly game of "who has the best dinner" because he sent me a picture of some enchiladas that my mom made last night. Although they clearly won, it inspired me to go a step further and make something that says, "Happy Fall"!

Maybe he was just bragging, but I felt my competitive juices starting.
While the chicken pot pie was cooling, I threw together a recipe that I learned last year: Spice Cake Pumpkin Muffins. Right after I made a Pinterest account, I tried this recipe. I've been adding things and changing things ever since trying to perfect it.

Spice Cake Pumpkin Muffins (makes 24):
93 calories per muffin
Ingredients
  • 1 can of pumpkin
  • 1 box of spice cake
  • Cinnamon to taste
  • Powdered sugar to taste 
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven according the the directions of the spice cake. 
  2. Pour entire contents of pumpkin into a mixing bowl along with the box of spice cake. 
  3. Mix together until blended evenly. I used my stand-mixer, but I've also used a handheld mixer as well as my hands in the past. 
  4. Fill muffin tins 2/3 of the way full. Sprinkle cinnamon on each muffin.
  5. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes depending on how soft you want them in the middle. 
  6. Once you're done baking, sprinkle powdered sugar on top of each muffin and let cool.
Mixing
I had to try one before I took the picture.


Delish.

I've really enjoyed getting to use so many of our wedding gifts to cook!

On a random note, I have a few new favorite snacks.

The first is Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt. It's the same number of calories as the regular Light & Fit yogurt, but it has twice the protein and it's much thicker.
Perfect afternoon snack.

The second snack I'm lovin' right now is Chai tea. No, not a chai tea latte, but just a regular tea bag in a cup of hot water. I love that it gives me the satisfaction of a treat without the calories.
This just makes me feel more relaxed.

By the way...TOMORROW IS FRIDAY!

I've blogged to you...
Now you can blogbacktome

No comments:

Post a Comment