Friday, October 12, 2012

Cheesy Delights

In an effort to make meals that fit into my daily calorie count and also don't scare Jason out of our apartment, I tried a new recipe last night.

Jason likes to keep mac n cheese stocked in the apartment in case he's ever left to fend for himself for a meal. Lately I've been buying the type that is whole grain, because honestly, who doesn't need a little more whole grain in their life? I was told last weekend that the whole grain version is bland. So I decided to change it up a bit and prove to my picky husband that whole grain can be extra cheesy too (aka not bland at all).

Three Cheese Mac n Cheese (makes two servings, double recipe for four servings):
331 Calories per serving
Ingredients
  • 1 box Kraft Whole Grain Mac and Cheese
  • 1/4 c. 2% cottage cheese
  • 1/4 c. skim milk
  • 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 3 tbsp. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
  • 2 slices whole grain bread
Directions
  1. Make mac n cheese according the the box directions. 
  2. While the regular mac n cheese is cooking, toast both pieces of bread. Once they're toasted crumble them in a skillet and stir in 1 tbsp. melted butter (or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter).
  3. Once the mac n cheese is done, add the rest of the butter and add the 2% cottage cheese and stir until melted down. 
  4. Add milk, stir, add both cheeses, and stir well.
  5. Put your mac n cheese in a casserole dish and top with the bread crumbs. 
  6. Place in the over and turn on the broiler. Broil for about 5 minutes, or until the top is crispy.
Yum!

It almost looks like hamburger helper.
This what a delightful meal. I never indulge in such things as mac n cheese, but for 331 calories, it was definitely worth it!

Yesterday after looking at the pictures from my endorsement of yogurt and Chai tea, I decided to spring for both at my self imposed daily snack time.

Obsessed? Maybe so.

Another thing I'm really obsessed with this week is just cooking new recipes. Before I left for work today I threw together a Salsa Chicken recipe in the crock pot for Jason and I to have tonight. The Morales' are having a Mexican meal tonight - too much irony for me to even get into.

I'll let you know how that one goes on Monday. But for now, happy Friday!

Enjoy your weekend!

I've blogged to you...
Now you can blogbacktome

No comments:

Post a Comment