Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Veggies for the Picky Man's Soul



In the midst of being out of town, having family in town, and just living life, I haven't had a chance to get to the store this week. I was kind of tired of eating every meal out, so I decided to throw together some veggie lasagna.

I found a recipe for this a while back from the Martha Stewart website and had put it aside for a rainy day. Last night ended up being just that...a rainy day with veggie lasagna for dinner.

I love veggies. Usually, the more the merrier. But unfortunately, my fantastic fiance doesn't love veggies like he loves me...or even really like them.

Therefore I adapted this recipe to make everyone happy. I made two thirds of the lasagna with spinach and a third without. If you have a picky eater in your house...this might just do the trick!

Half-Veggie Lasagna (yields 8):
Ingredients
  • 4 c. (32 ounces) part skim-milk ricotta cheese
  • 2 large eggs
  • Salt and fresh ground pepper
  • 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess moisture
  • 6 c. store-bought or homemade tomato sauce
  • 12 no-boil whole wheat lasagna noodles (8 ounces)
  • 1 lb. mozzarella cheese (4 cups), shredded
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese, eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour about 1/3 of the mixture into a separate bowl. Add spinach (to the larger portion), and stir well to combine.
  2. Spread a small bit of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish or dishes. Arrange a layer of lasagna noodles on top. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over the noodles, followed by 1/3 of the remaining sauce; sprinkle with 1/3 of the grated cheese (make sure to pick which side you're going to have be the non-veggie side; pick a side and stick with it). Repeat to make two more layers, ending with cheese.
  3. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil; continue baking until top is golden brown, about 15 minutes more. Let cool slightly before serving.
I was so hungry that I forgot to take a picture...but it should look a little something like this:

Source
Keep in mind that you can also split the recipe in halves instead of thirds. We had some guests eating with us last night, so I wanted to make more with spinach and less for Jason.

I'll keep the rambling to a minimum for today.

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment