Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Well, this is awkward

When I decided to do Guthrie's bible reading plan, I also decided that I'd listen to the sermon from Brook Hills that coincides with the reading. A few years ago, Brook Hills walked through the bible in one year (following Guthrie's plan) and so there is one sermon per week of reading. Since I started attending Brook Hills about 2/3 of the way into this series, I wanted to get the full effect and go back and listen.

So, here I am sitting here listening to the sermon about Exodus, and I feel like a complete idiot. After my grumbling and complaining about reading about cubits and all of that stuff, this is what I hear:

"God was delivering His people. For what purpose? So that they might serve and worship Him. And what this is pointing us to today is that the ultimate purpose of salvation is worship. God saves us for worship. God delivers us for worship. Did you know almost 50 times in these first four books of the bible alone, almost 50 times, we see the phrase, and you see it over and over again in your reading, “[either you or they] will know that I am the Lord”. God is delivering His people for His glory. It’s the whole point of why, here at the end of Exodus, we have from chapter 25 all the way to chapter 40, with this brief little interlude in between that helps us understand worship, from chapter 25 to chapter 40 the majority of this portion of Exodus is all dealing with, what? It’s worship. It’s the tabernacle. It’s detail after detail after detail. You’re wondering why all these details are in here. Someone “twittered” me this week and said – yes, I have sold out to the Twitter world - so I got a tweet this week and someone in our faith family this week said, “Shekels, and cubits, and pillars, oh my! The tabernacle is the greatest!” This is the picture we’re reading through when we start to skim through some of those details, but the reality is God is prescribing how He is to be worshipped. It’s the point of why He has delivered them out. Worship of God is important to God. God is God-centered. God exalts God. And the beauty of Exodus, the beauty of the gospel is how God exalts His great name."
- David Platt, Where Glory Dwells
 
Source

I'm officially humbled. I just feel like I need to apologize for my post yesterday. While yes, I did end up confident that God was teaching me through my reading, I was extremely negative, and for that I am sorry. So, spend some time in worship today. Spend some time in Exodus. Spend some time in another part of His Word. Spend some time in prayer. Just, whatever you do this evening, make sure that you take advantage of the fact that because of Christ's death, we have the Spirit of God dwelling in us!

For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross. Colossians 1:19-20

I've blogged to you,
Now you can blogbacktome

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to read your posts!! I've been meaning to write on mine but have no time. Its exciting to learn from you!! May He be the centrality of your life and in turn, your marriage. Love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete