Monday, February 4, 2013

I Said "YES" - It's Been One Year

Jason proposed to me one year ago today. I'd like to say that time flies, and it some ways it does, but I also feel like we've just always been married...I suppose that's probably a good thing :)

Anyway, I wanted to post our proposal story, because it's awesome of course. I was going to just repost the blog that I wrote about it, but then I realized that I never posted a blog about it. I did however, post the story on our wedding website. Since September 23rd marked the day that I never did anything wedding related again, our wedding website is still up. So, here's our proposal story (complete with awesome photos), one year later.

Enjoy!

-----------------

Jason proposed on February 4, 2012. I have known Jason was very romantic all along, but I this night he was on a whole new playing field.

So...here it goes:

Jason told me that he wanted to take me on a date Saturday night. He said that earlier in the week, but he never really said anything else about it. So Friday night I asked him if he still wanted to go out Saturday night, and he said, "Yes, be ready at 5:30."

Well, I was ready, but the bottom dropped out of the sky at about 5:20 that night. So we made a run to the car with my somewhat functional (but usually broken), leopard-print umbrella. We barely got out of my apartment complex and he pulled out a blindfold and told me that there were 5 parts to our date, and I had to be blindfolded in between every part. Honestly, I wasn't as shocked as I probably should have been when he handed me the blindfold. He did the same thing when he asked me to be his girlfriend on September 22, 2010....it's kind of his trademark :)


Me with my awesome blindfold.
So the first two parts of our date he basically took me on our first date again. We went to Rojo for dinner in Highlands area. He didn't let me take off the blindfold until we were literally walking in the door, so I felt silly, but that's okay because I knew something special was coming. We ate, and I honestly can't even remember what we talked about because I was so giddy/excited/nervous.

After dinner, he took me to Morris Ave. downtown. On our first date, Jason took me to a place there to hear one of our friends from church play. On our first date, we walked around the unique area of Morris Ave. before the show. February 4th, he walked his blindfolded girlfriend through the same street. He guided me all the way down the cobblestone road to this random chair sitting in the middle of the sidewalk. Then he told me to sit down, and he got out his backpack  (I asked if we were going to school).

Our "song" is called Goodnight Moon, and a while back I bought him the children's book with the same name because he'd never read it before. So while I was sitting in the random chair in the middle of Morris Ave., he told me that he had a story to read to me and he read me Goodnight Moon (the book). Then he told me that he had something for me to read, and he got out this beautiful custom made hardback book that had all of these pictures of us in it. He'd written the book to be like Goodnight Moon, except everything was "Hello [fill in the blank]". I started crying about three pages in. Then on the last page it said, "Do you want a new last name? Will you marry me?" And when I finished reading he was on one knee with the ring out.

It looks like a scene from a movie. Good job Kyle (aka our spy photographer)
On one knee. Love this.



 After that, we went to Homewood Park. The first time we went there was some sort of pilates class going on or something so Jason and I made fun of them  by dancing on the tables trying to immitate them. So Saturday when we went to the park he got out his iPod and we danced on the table...sounds silly, but it was really sweet and cute...and let's face it, Jason and I are a pretty silly couple.

Fourth stop was O'Henry's coffee shop in Downtown Homewood. Jason took me in (still blindfolded) and set up his computer and he had my family on the other end of it so we could video chat. That was probably one of the best parts of the night because all of them were just sitting there waiting and SO excited for us! We talked for almost an hour, which I later found out was good because Jason wasn't sure how he was going to delay us for the fifth and final part of the night (he totally underestimated how much four girls can talk).


Video chatting with my family
Last stop of the night was at our friends' apartment. Our small group from church and a couple of our other good friends had thrown us a little engagement party, which was so wonderful and sweet of them. We got to celebrate and text all of our friends and family. We also got to eat some yummy ice cream cake and just share our story and fellowship with the people we share life with here in Birmingham. Before we left, our friends prayed over us and our engagement and our future marriage. It reminded me how truly blessed we are to have each other, our friends, and our families who are all so encouraging and supportive!

Our engagement party!
Dun-dun-dun-duuhhhhhh...THE RING...or should I say, THE BLING!
 ---------------------

I've blogged to you...
Now you can blogbacktome

No comments:

Post a Comment