Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sin vs. Salvation

One of the podcast that I subscribe to is Desiring God's Author's on the Line. Back in October, the host interviewed Michael Reeve, author of "Delighting in the Trinity". In the 24 minute interview, Reeves presents this paralleled comparison between sin and salvation. 

This is what he says concerning sin:

"Why is it that Eve takes the apple? The action of her sin actually flows out of the affections where her heart is. That she desires wisdom, she wants to be more like God, more than she wants to trust God. So, she's got a love for something else rather than a love for God. And that's how sin works in us. The reason I act sinfully is because I've begun to desire sinfully. I've begun to desire something else more than I've desired God. And this is James 1 - it's desire gives birth to sin; sin gives birth to death."

And on salvation:

"This is how we're built. So the same thing works for salvation. I naturally don't desire God. I desire myself. I desire other things. But what the Spirit so kindly does, is the Spirit opens my eyes to see the glory and beauty of God - and so wins my  heart...I want people to see that the living God is more beautiful and more desirable than our sin. And that's the Spirit's work through the Word. The Spirit opens our eyes that we might see Christ."




Source

-------------

May we focus today on what we desire for. Are we desiring success, money, material possessions, food, love, or other things of this work that are temporary? If so, let us fix our eyes upon Jesus. Let us fix our desires and our affections on the cross. Let us focus on the God who loves you and sent His son so that you and I might live eternally with Him.

I've blogged to you...
Now you can blogbacktome

No comments:

Post a Comment