Thursday, January 17, 2013

Snow Day(s)

Welcome to 2013 everyone! This is my first official blog of the year.

Currently, snow is coming down pretty hard here in Birmingham, AL.

I'm pretty excited about the fact that it's snowing, even though it probably won't stick. Growing up in Florida, the closest thing that we ever saw to snow was the sand on the dunes on a really really cold day. Living in Birmingham, snow is a little bit more frequent, but not nearly something is ever guaranteed.

That being said, today's snowfall has made me remissness about my first few snow days. The first time I saw snow was as a sophomore in high school when I was on a debate team trip in Boston, MA. There are probably a couple of pictures of that circling Facebook, but since Facebook was brand new back then and you had to be in college to create an account...I don't have the photo readily available for my blogging purposes.

The next few times I saw snow was while I was a student at Samford. We used to joke that Samford would usually cancel classes either right after it stopped snowing, or right when it was unnecessary to cancel classes at all (i.e. the time they canceled classes after 1 p.m. on a Friday). Anyway, here are some pictures from those glorious Samford Snow Days!
Samford with a little snow around Christmas in 2009.

The February snow in 2010.

Samford the day after the 2010 snow.

Somebody made a really good snowman and I took credit for it. Hehe.

So excited that it's snowing for my Florida guests.

Such a fun night.

February snow in 2010. Samford's quad...right before classes were canceled.

The other time that I've really seen snow was when I studied abroad in London. It snowed probably 3 for 4 days while I was there, and I honestly got pretty used to it. It was never a super heavy snow, but that's probably for the best. One thing I did learn though, this Florida girl does NOT know how to build a snowman.
The view outside my window at Samford's Daniel House in London.

My snowman...he's just short.

St. James Park in London.

Unfortunately I won't be able to "play" in the snow today. But regardless, it really is beautiful. Here are some pictures from my view today:
Our office in the Lakeview area of Downtown Birmingham.

University Blvd. through out window.

University Blvd.

Parking lot.

28th St. S facing St. Vincent's Hospital

Well there you have it, a Southern Snow Day.

I've blogged to you...
Now you can blogbacktome

No comments:

Post a Comment